Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Mac Craps out - but wait... You gotta love Apple

The PowerBook was behaving badly. It would just freeze or toss the spinning wheel of death an not let go. I guess that's essentially another type of freeze. Nast came more and more frequently until it finally failed to boot. I managed a backup (phew) and tried to reinstall Leopard, but it wouldn't boot. It would "KP" - Kernel Panic. Not good. I've had hard drives misbehave and then die completely. I feared this would happen again.

Apple (at the store) identified a few potential problems including hard drive, logic board, airport card... It sounded expensive. I thought about punting. Maybe I needed a new one - crap.

Nope, they have a program (as long as you haven't physically hurt your device - water etc) where they describe the behavior, send it to a tech center and they'll fix anything wrong. If it needs a drive or a board - they do it all for $310 with a 3-month warranty on everything. Why not, the parts are cheap - it's the labor. Stack the labor capacity, deliver the work to the labor efficiently, charge slightly more than the average repair and voila - sweetness.

I got it back in two days. New hard drive, new airport card, a gig of new ram and a hot rock massage. All better. Nice! Sweet!

Ahhh... let us learn something.

I use Windows and Mac computers for different things. Someday soon that will end. I'm pretty sure I could make due with an all Mac deal right now but unfortunately, I'd have to run Windows on the Mac (somewhat problematic).

You gotta love the whole Apple thing. You gotta.
.

No comments: