Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Ya but what if...

Hey - if I'm standing on the edge of a cliff, I might fall. If that happens, I'll be killed. Not only that, but the fall will be a horrifying experience. My concern is surely justified. If I'm at the same edge, but securely anchored to a structure and it's not possible for me to fall, why would I be afraid? In one case I have a rational fear (logic), but in the other I have an irrational fear (phobia). The difference between logic and phobia isn't always as clear as it is in this example.

Perceived consequences are what drive our concerns. Sure death is a pretty serious consequence, but there's a whole lot of thinking going on about subjects less damaging than death. What makes some people seem fearless?

Let's look here: Maslow's hierarchy of needs

No comments: