Friday, November 2, 2007

Great Stuff - sort of


This material is quite useful. If you prepare properly and get it in the right places, it works nicely.

However, if you get the stuff on your hands or anything else, you've got some problems. It doesn't burn or anything super dangerous, but it is extremely sticky and as sticky stuff will do - it makes a mess.

I sealed up some holes and cracks in a crawlspace foundation. It was awkward down there. The floor was sand (beach house) and before I knew it I had this yuck on my hands, a bit on my cloths and apparently I touched my face a few times. The foundation looked good. I like the way it worked.

Unfortunately, the sand and dirt plus this stuff on my hands, face and clothing was nasty. At first it was kind of funny. When I looked in the mirror, I laughed - ha ha. I started washing the stuff and nothing happened. I mean it didn't budge. I went quickly to the nail polish remover... Nothing! Lacquer thinner and a lot of scrubbing made hardly a dent. I tried mineral spirits, grip solvent (golf grips - It's like paint thinner) - nope. I tried comet, spic and span, lava soap and some other under the kitchen sink elixirs. I used up a half bottle of Goo-Gone in between soapy efforts. By the time I was done, I had knocked the tackiness off, but that was about it. I worked on it with another round of household approaches and more solvents the next day and while it definitely didn't go away, I managed to lighten it up a little.

Well now it has been four days and I still have the stuff on my hands. It's somewhat better now. It's basically wearing off. At least people don't look at me and wonder what sort of silly move did I pull.

If you need to use this stuff, read the label, be careful and USE GLOVES.

No comments: