Monday, January 22, 2007

Grande Red-eye please

At Starbucks, to get a medium sized strong coffee that has an extra shot of espresso (making it a strong coffee) you say, "I'd like a Grande red-eye please." If you want it to have two shots of espresso - it's a black-eye.

This was part of the instant customer training course I received when I asked for a medium coffee (please) - I added; "something fairly strong".

It was communicated in a nice way. I was in a pretty good mood so I wasn't offended. Hey now I know. Maybe the coffee dude (I know they have some other cool title, but I can't remember it) was just taking his stuff too seriously and took it upon himself to share.

If Starbucks has a strategy to train the customers to speak "Starbuckian", that's a "Wow."

I saw this quote attributed to George Carlin - "New Rule: The more complicated the Starbucks order, the bigger the asshole. If you walk into a Starbucks and order a "decaf grande, half-soy, half-low fat, iced vanilla, double-shot, gingerbread cappuccino, extra dry, light ice, with one Sweet-n'-Low, and one NutraSweet," ooh, you're a huge asshole.

No comments: