Saturday, March 15, 2008

Oh Mickey he's so fine...

Disney (Disney World) manages to find the edge of market resistance for price and patience. They make is very easy to get there, stay there, and play there. If you're willing to pay what they tell you to pay and do things the way they want you to, you and Disney will get along just fine. You'll spend more than you thought you would and not feel any (much) pain.

I've stayed at some of the Disney resorts over the years and I'm now a trained patron. I know how to get from wherever I am to wherever I need to go using only Disney transportation, as long as I am willing to stay inside the properties. With my resort ID card, I'm swiping and walking and riding and swiping and eating and walking and buying and resting and... for as many days as I can stand it. I'm aware of the inflated prices and marginal quality, but it's easy enough and "magical" enough to keep doing.

I've been with the kids a few times as they grew up. I've been with employees of my company, with and without kids. I just went with my college daughter. This time we went down there just to escape winter. It was an easy time to arrange (important consideration). We walked the parks, got our fast-passes, went on rides, ate diner here and there, and consumed as we are programmed to consume. It wasn't bad at all. However, it wasn't as magical as it had been the first, second or third time.

My big thrill now is watching the business run; appreciating the effort to keep things clean, painted and safe. Attractions, rides, exhibits, pricing, transportation, facilities, staff, marketing, image - everything done with intentions. My guess is that once you reach this point, you're done with Disney. Yup - I think I'm done. Thanks Walt.

No comments: