Monday, March 31, 2008

Past El Mariachi

I read a book written a dozen years ago by Robert Rodriguez. The book was called Rebel without a Crew. I tossed a link in the books and such section (left side). It was about Rodriguez's making of a movie (El Mariachi) at age 23 for $7,000 that ended up getting released by Columbia pictures and jump starting his career. The material was presented as his diary during the making of the film. I quite enjoyed the book.

At the end of the book - to fill pages I guess, he includes the screenplay for El Mariachi. By the end of the book, you know a lot about the movie and about Robert's approach. The version I saw was in Spanish, but since I had all this time invested in learning about it, the fact that I don't speak Spanish was immaterial. El Mariachi made for cheap money, was awesome.

He died a followup called Desperado with Antonio Banderas and Selma Hayek. Hayek is outrageously pretty(so is Antonio, I'm told). Desperado was just okay for me. I've seen some of Rodriguez's other work. He's very good. Check him out, you'll like the stuff.

No comments: