Monday, October 8, 2007

The blue and red businesses are both closed now

I had observed the opening of two non-franchised used car businesses on opposite sides of town. I'll call one the blue business (their signs were blue) and the other the red business (yup - red signs). Both locations appeared adequate. Given a choice, I liked the blue business spot much better. It had slightly better visibility, more parking and it seemed to be "nicer".

The red business opened first, followed a few months later by the blue business. The red business was planted on a busy road in a building that most likely was a residence at one time. It was modified to be a used car lot and I would say they did a pretty good job. The blue business did (in my opinion) a little bit better job tidying up the property and renovating the facility. Their building was clearly not a redone residence. I thought they had an advantage. I really liked the setup of the blue business. Both businesses looked to inventory 50 or so retail ready cars and trucks.

About a month or so ago, the red business closed up shop and the property put up for sale. So much of that business is management, you can't blame the location. The fellow(s) probably just couldn't get it done.

Yesterday, I drove by the spiffy blue business... Closed - gone - left town - a realtor's for sale sign took the place of the blue sign.

I liked that blue business. I was envious (sort of). He seemed to have grabbed a good spot and done it up nicely. I wonder what happened there? Perhaps it's a bad business to be in right now.

Hmmm...

No comments: