Friday, October 19, 2007

Jose Ramirez Guitar and eBay


I sold my Jose Ramirez guitar to a fellow from Paris. I gave a decent description, praised it as expected, and pointed out its shortcoming (scratches etc). I put a dozen pictures up there too. I assumed that anyone willing to buy this type of instrument would have a pretty good idea what they were looking at.

Along the way I fielded questions from Hawaii, Australia, Denmark, England and even back in Spain where the thing was made.

I'm not sure what my other outlets would be if there were no eBay - especially given that it wasn't cosmetically perfect. Perhaps I could have taken it to a local music store - one that sold good classical guitars. To improve my chances, maybe I could take it to Boston or NY to a higher end store. I'm not sure they would even be interested. I'll bet they would not. So where would I go? Would I put an add in the newspaper or perhaps somewhere else on the web? Hmmm... Is eBay the only viable platform for this transaction? The instrument got world wide exposure and found a home with the highest bidder. The highest bidder in the world. Cool!

No comments: