Sunday, October 14, 2007

I think I'm done


Is it a bad thing or a good thing?


I've never really played well enough for long enough to take my game to the level I had hoped to. Shooting 74 on a good day is about all I expect now. Some people think that's pretty good. I just don't. Okay - it's not bad. It's better than most people can do, but so what. 74 will win some matches , but it's not good enough to really compete with good players. I actually can't remember feeling like I had enough game to control my ball and get under par. I've come up with 80 or worse (a lot of that lately - when) in competition too many times. If I'm hitting my irons well (for the day), I can hope for 76 or 78. 17 year old kids blow it by me off the tee. I can't remember struggling with my irons as badly as I have recently. I'm really disgusted with how I'm playing. I question whether this is any fun. Maybe I just don't want to play anymore. Maybe I'm bored with it. It takes so much time, energy and money to play this game. Isn't there something else I can do? Maybe breaking up with the game makes sense now. Maybe I can play a few times a year and that will be fine? Maybe I'm done trying to compete? I can't see spending $6,000 a year on a country club membership and not enjoying it. I think I'm done. Maybe some day, I'll come back... or not.

No comments: