Monday, October 15, 2007

Hogan - by Dodson


I met James Dodson (author of Ben Hogan - An American Life) at a diner hosted by the Donald Ross Society held back in April in North Carolina (Pine Needles). The Ross folks are a good bunch of guys, but who cares? I'm not a member but, I was invited apparently for my charm - as was Mr. Dodson. Anyway - I found Dodson to be an interesting guy. I gathered that he really took the Hogan book seriously. I appreciate that. The book is very well done.

For a big fat book, it moved right along. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Dodson managed to tell the story without making too many things up or coloring too much. I got the sense that he wanted to, but resisted and stuck to the task. He has a very pleasant writing style. I suspect I'll read more of his work. Well done James.

No comments: